Saturday, October 11, 2008

Little Thoughts-Big Meaning

Friday afternoon my weekend started with unwelcomed emotion simply because I haven't been getting the sleep that I really do need. Tears were on the edge of each eye lid; exhaustion, it gets the best of me sometimes. Then the phone rang, just after 7pm. It was Steve, calling to let me know how everyone at work loved the latest blog post showing Kaitlyn sucking her big toe. My heart melted, the tears finally were shed and a smile came over me. This is what it's all about. The little moments aren't so little when your day is graced--and consumed--with such a miracle. Kaitlyn does tire me out and I do need a break from her constant joy at times, but then something as ordinary as a phone call can make the mountains rise and the sunset shine. It puts the exhaustion into perspective.

The night continued with Grandma and Grandpa coming over. I was so grateful for their company, it allowed me to cook with confidence and do circles around the house knowing Kaitlyn was close by but under their care. Yet, in the midst of my unraveling, another little moment became extraordinary. My dad was holding onto Kaitlyn just chatting away about her hanging out with Grandma and Grandpa...then I realized Kaitlyn will only have one Grandpa to cherish and know. There are no Great Grandpa's living and Steve's side she is gifted with only her Nana. Tremendous. May we always welcome Grandpa visits...(of course any Grandparent or Nana visit would be greeted with open arms, I just want to pause and bottle up her Grandpa--he's the only one she'll know for her lifetime).

The photo above was taken this afternoon on this gorgeous autumn day!