Sunday, August 30, 2009

Great Grandma Delights




My sweet Grandmother (Kaitlyn's Great Grandmother) is aging. While it is an expected part of life, it pauses my heart when I see her, catches me in a trance of thought. A mere year ago she had an awareness of her forgetful mind, often stating the obvious with a tear in her eye, 'oh, my memory isn't the same as it used to be'. Now it is different. She keeps asking how old Kaitlyn is and when the new baby is due. Every time she learns that our little Sarphen is a boy, it's like learning it for the first time so you can imagine how fun it is to receive her joy. She has no awareness that she continually asks the same questions so I go along with it and know that Kaitlyn loves every ounce of her attention! But, there is something different when Grandma interacts directly with Kaitlyn. As if in autopilot, she goes right into a phase of life she has endured numerous times (she is a mother of five afterall). Her memory isn't required, and thank God her health is 100%, allowing her to be attentive to every Kaitlyn screech, hello, kiss, funny face and moment of exploration. I don't know how much longer my Grandmother will be with us, but what I do know is that despite the failing mind, I'm so grateful Kaitlyn and her soon to be brother, have these unknown few years to mingle with her, take comfort in her lap, and enjoy her warm embrace.