Friday, January 16, 2009

January 14, 2009

It was a beautiful day, almost as if Spring arrived. Blue skies, short sleeves, barefoot...laughter and a sense of ease. Kaitlyn and I spent a great deal of the day in a car but when outside we were with Grandma, Nana and at one point we even had some face time with Great Grandma. My favorite time of the day was when we were trying to find the ocean-we had spent some time in Harbor City at Kaiser for Nana's knee appointments and being so close to the ocean we had to get a glimpse. As we curved around the windy roads that led us through Palos Verdes Estates I began to feel like I was in another part of the state-who knew LA county had such natural beauty. Then it arrived, we came to the top of a hill and were faced with an expansive view of the Pacific. With the sun perfectly perched ahead its rays were kissing the blue waters creating a magnificent glistening shower upon the subtle waves. I wanted to be no where else than where I was. We made our way down the hill and drove parrallel to the water for some time heading back toward the freeway to make it to Long Beach. I haven't seen this type of landscape in some time-or maybe I haven't been mentally available to notice it. Breathtaking really.
Kaitlyn gets the Gold Award for being such a great passenger. With 50's music jamming through the speakers and both Grandma and Nana singing along to the classics the energy was contagious-it was a day you did not want to have end.
Did I mention it was Grandma's birthday? This certainly added to the warmth of being together.