Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Bathtime Bliss



Kaitlyn loves getting in the water, making splashes by kicking her legs--but what she really likes to do in the bath is put everything in her mouth...surprise, surprise! From the tub itself to the washcloth to the toys, she is totally into the feast of bathing. I love watching her get into this focused playtime when her bottom hits the warm water. She is so intense, gripping onto the ring toy or rubber ducky, biting down on the tub itself, as if escaping into another time zone. She engages in this imaginary world and I sit as a bystander in awe trying to figure out what fairytale she is creating.
When I bundle her in the towel after bath time she brings with her whatever toy she had been clinging onto and if I snatch her when her hands are free the actual towel becomes the next feast. She remains happy and blissful until I start to dress her. Like any baby once the clothing hits the skin, that great feeling of freedom from lounging in her birthday suit is tainted. This is when the cries begin and continue until I have her totally clothed ready for bed. It's a hard life for this little one, really hard!