Saturday, January 22, 2011

Body Language


My little guy isn't so little. While he has yet to develop much of a vocabulary, his expressions sure say a lot. Some of my favorite moments with him occur during our bedtime routine. In the bath he will stand up and stare straight into my eyes for a reaction and as always, I give him the standard 'on your bottom' statement sternly looking right back at him. Without hesitation Mr. Obedient sits down only to do it another five times, each time with the same mischievous look. What's unbearably adorable is something that lasts for a mere second...once he stands up his initial face and body language is that which radiates "I'm proud, look at me! I stood up!". Some nights I hate to interfere with his moment of glory, but the fear of slips in the tub would haunt me (they already do as almost 90% of Dylan's baths are shared with Kaitlyn...and the two of them in the tub can turn into a war zone of pushing, hair pulling and shoulder bites not too mention splash raids)!

Kaitlyn can't get enough of Tinker Bell these days. Since Christmas it's been Strawberry Shortcake or Tinker Bell that gives me respite in the afternoon and her a touch of quiet time. If not napping, Dylan will engage in the quiet time showing a sincere interest in the Disney castle that pops up when the show starts. This results in a house shake as his hearty voice turns to ON and out of his mouth comes a drawn out and LOUD, 'MOMMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA'! The best part is not so much what he is saying but how he looks. Both palms, facing upward, frozen at mid-chest height. He's sure to be a crowd pleaser.

There has been a shift in my confidence and I'm not certain where the credit lies other than I've been a mom now for over 3 years (yes, I'm including the pregnancy since really...your life changes when you see that + on your home pregnancy test). I can hardly wait to see what confidence I'll have in 13 years and then in 23 years! Other than the drastic changes that happen both physically and intellectually from the infant to toddler stage, I think the only other comparable era in ones life is designated to motherhood. What you prepare for, actually endure and learn in a short span is mind-blowing. It must taper out eventually, but right now it does seem like I'm trying to push through a self-inflicted barricade of lessons. The little confidence that is developing has helped tremendously!

I've had a series of Ah-ha moments. Some worth mentioning here and others intended for my inner think tank: 1.) always keep time on your side which translates to....plan your day so Kaitlyn has ample time to do all tasks on her own since she will undo whatever you do anyway (dressing and undressing herself, putting toothpaste on the toothbrush, going in and out of the car, buckling herself in the seat...the list does go on); 2.) preschool is awesome which means I give credit to the school environment for often teaching or at least reinforcing excellent manners, demonstrating compassion, and encouraging independence (the latter is not in need of anymore encouraging, Kaitlyn is fiercely independent)!
As always stories could be abundant, but time is limited so with these last statements I do bide thee farewell....

Kaitlyn has been known to exclaim to me in mid-day, as a complete random statement un related to anything in her surroundings or even day's experience....'Mommy, I need chocolate.' Oh how the apple doesn't fall far from the tree!

Dylan has come to really master the melt-down-into-the-ground-lay-upon-the-floor-crying action on cue when I walk into the room (mind you this only happens when he has been spending what would be considered quality time with someone other than me...I apparently make his world shatter upon arrival)!

I continue to stay up way too late, get up only when the kids are awake (can't seem to get out of bed earlier than the two of them to squeeze in a morning work-out) and still consume too much sugar, probably too much fat and way too much caffeine! Hmmm. What a combo.