Saturday, June 5, 2010

Introducing the Italian Food Hound

He watches what I eat with great intrigue compelling me to plop a plate in front of him with the expectation he will know exactly how to handle the food. Couple this with his late food strike and I'm left with mixed messages. Dylan surprises me daily with his food preferences. Somedays he can't get enough zucchini and then other days he gags on it. All days he refuses bananas (what kid refuses bananas???), pears, carrots, peas, and on occasion accepts pears if mixed with lentils. Crazy. Everyday he could live off of avocado, it's by far the most exciting dish by his standards and thank goodness it has been deemed acceptable for a baby's first food. I've tried tofu, blueberries, peaches, and varying brands of oatmeal and rice cereals. He has found a preference for the Gerber oatmeal cereal over the Earth's Best brand-how a seven month old can determine the difference is beyond me. AND of course, never does he refuse a boob. This boy would be content with only breastmilk, directly from the source, for God only knows how long.
I have, however, found a glimmer of hope between yesterday and today. Dylan has successfully guzzled down 1.5 ounces of formula from a bottle over the span of two feedings...this basically translates to H O P E. Yes, there is hope that I may be able to leave him for a period of time with anyone other than me and know he won't be hungry. It's taken us a few months to get him to develop a sucking motion on the bottle-huge milestone. He still has a ways to go, but I relish in this new reality!
So, with all the strife around his feedings, Kaitlyn and I were enjoying some left over pasta for lunch and with his watchful eyes I figured I'd take the risk and toss some finely chopped Italian treat on his tray. This boy would have asked for thirds if I had more to give him. He was thrilled to play with it, eat it and play with it some more.
Here is Mr. Dylan, the Italian Food Hound:

I love the serious look of intention...and the hands, so focused on the act of exploring the slimy noodles!

The classic Dylan lip pucker-his new look. Part flirtatious, part glee, part D! His two teeth aren't for show and tell I guess! He's being modest these days.