Tuesday, November 3, 2009

October 28th, 12:27pm

Daddy Time

Check out those lips, cheeks and nose!

Chillin after all the probing...

Getting probed, temperature was being taken.
Look at those hands-they will do many great things in this lifetime!



He has arrived!
Dylan Carmichael Patterson

How to describe this birth story without smiling would be near impossible. Kaitlyn really paved the way for Dylan's entry into this world. Basically I was induced, and saying that translates to a 'waiting game'. I received a drug that would thin my cervix, as I just wasn't showing signs of going into labor - or perhaps, Dylan really didn't want to come out. I received two doses of the drug, each dose is a 12 hour process...on the second dose, about 2/3 into it, the drug was removed (it sits adjacent to the cervix) and Pitocin was started. Knowing full well that Pitocin brings about contractions, I requested an epidural at 3cm dilation. By 8am on the 28th I was working with both Pitocin and the epidural. The doctor came in at some point in the morning to rupture my bag of water and shortly after I fell sound asleep. I was awakened by the nurse, a few hours later, for an exam only find that I had dilated to 9.5 cm all while sleeping! Oh my, I began to cry thinking how surreal this all felt. With only 23 minutes of pushing and sleep during all the contractions...Dylan came into this world with ease! What a blessing.

His stats are:

20.5 inches
10lbs 5 oz
His head was 14.5 inches

Now he is happily breastfeeding, makes all sorts of grunting sounds when he's awake and generally only cries when he's hungry. Not bad...I'm hoping this continues!