Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Parrot

It's a continual game of Copy Kat around here. Either Dylan or Kaitlyn gets the other started and then it's over, a freight train of banter between the two rules the house. The volume escalates and then it's over, just like that. At least for a short while until the other starts in again. I call the copier 'Parrot'. Really, my nickname just fuels the fire!

Where to begin, once again I'm sitting her pondering the joys from this past month as it's been another 30 plus days since I last wrote. So much changes in a few short weeks that the trends from today were certainly not anticipated two weeks ago!  The kids and I took Grandma to Arizona for a stint with Auntie Jessie-a glorious time to be in Arizona. Swimming, park play, walks with the dogs and hands on hanging out with desert tortoises: Godzilla (the Big Daddy); two mothers and about seven babies (each no more than three inches in length). Auntie Jessie was prepared for our visit-a stocked toy cabinet, books on DVD and fun treats. She never ceases to amaze me!





Then it was Papa's 70th birthday. This was quite an endeavor. Grandma had him in a skeleton costume, invited over a houseful of saints while the brothers et all were the servers, grill master (Steve), MC (Darin & Scott), bartender (Benet) and even the witness supporter (Denis via iPad). It was a festive evening rich with extra hands (my favorite was Kimberly, Scott's girl, who brought her own rubber gloves to assist with the dishes...now that's thoughtfulness)! As usual Heames fashion, the house was packed, the stories were great and the party was rocking! The kids and I headed back over the next day for a nice family brunch among the great Aunt's & great Uncles. Kaitlyn wore her tutu and went into a reenactment of my all too famous blue tutu wearing days of Italy! She is truly my daughter...this I know!

Last week Steve and I headed to San Fran while the kids were under the care of Nana. Lord bless her for the work she did while we were away. The children were brought to school each day, on time, and without skipping a beat, all their afternoon commitments were upheld! I'm sure they were given yummy homecooked meals, daily, as all the food I had for their lunches and general dining were still here when I returned! Go Nana....to our surprise, she took Dylan to the Barber and ordered him a darling haircut! He's like a little man now, ready for the military since the hair is really super short with curls on top. I know Steve wasn't thrilled, and for me...I just wish I was there. I can visualize Dylan at an old school Barber, feeling grown up, not moving at all, frozen in both curiosity and amusement! He just walks around the house with his hands on his head, stopping periodically to say, 'I like it, Mommy, I like my haircut'! It's really precious!

Miss Sassy Kaitlyn is growing up so quickly! She's much more receptive to instruction and lessons these days, I'm so pleased! I also find myself, especially when lying next to her scratching her back at night, so in love! I'm in awe over the fact that this little child is a part of me...she is my family. It's remarkable. Probably for the past two months I've been overcome by these feelings toward both the kids. I often heard prior to giving birth to Kaitlyn, 'Oh you'll be so in love with your children, it's such an amazing feeling.' Well, it took me a good few weeks to feel a connection with Kaitlyn-partly due to her being in the NICU and then partly due to the struggles with breastfeeding, lack of sleep and the overall shock of the physical toll childbearing has on you. Then one morning the feeling of love was different and I truly felt connected to this little innocent being. Well...what I feel lately is of greater depth. I really thought I was at the cap of my love, only needing to sustain it for forever...but recently I found out that our capacity to love can only further grow!

With that...key highlights:

Dylan is now 3 years old! His big day was celebrated by the Hodgkinson's with a grand trip to Build A Bear Workshop. He took on a silver bear that roars, has ears that light up and was outfitted with three full costumes: Raiders Football Player (including a helmet), a Scuba Diver and Spiderman! Such fun-he carries this bear almost everywhere and changes it's clothes as often as Kaitlyn changes her mind! His actual party is on this Saturday...Spiderman! Should be an absolute blast!

Dylan talks like a big boy mainly due to his greatest teacher being that of Kaitlyn. We all know she talks like she's 13-a real eloquent young girl! He's no quiet one either. This deep voice of his can be heard from all rooms of the house. He has a presence and with the right direction, we really hope it can be a great benefit for any team sport!

Kaitlyn declared the other day that she will not be a football player, but rather a cheerleader.

Kaitlyn is in a dance class that happens at her school on Thursdays...this little girl is in Heaven. She has tap and ballet shoes that she'll just put on for no reason other than to pretend dancing. She goes over her dance moves repeatedly, often showcasing them to Steve or myself. It's really been fun to witness this excitement within her toward dance! Go Miss Amanda (her teacher) for having such a great influence upon her!

Kaitlyn also knows every lyric and title to each song that comes on the sirius Kids Place Live station. I listen to it as often as she and still don't know lyrics let alone song titles. Genius. Definitely Steve's daughter.

Dylan continues to be a typical boy: holding his penis all the time. Did I mention he holds his penis constantly? Really, his new thing is to walk around holding onto his penis. Heck, it's so often Auntie Jessie called him 'Tug' while we traveled. On a serious note, he's rock solid with his meat eating abilities, his independence is becoming as fierce as Kaitlyn's and he's not phased by sweets. Amazing how young children are when concrete personality traits are recognizable!

Enjoy the pics: